Saturday, August 31, 2013

August, 31, 2013 - HAM - DXB - SGN

I like going everywhere, without any destination. And only enjoy the walking.

Starting with this post, I basically retype my travel journal:

In the meantime I am in the airplane from Dubai to HCMC, I slept a little bit and feel just great and prepared for my adventure. And that it is, right? For the first time backpacking, without a real itinerary and going to South-East-Asia, where I have not been before. Alone.

Even packing a backpack can become a significant event. At least everything fitted (against all odds and the very discouraging prognosis of the sales person at Globetrotter, who was convinced, that I would not be able to fit in clothes for three weeks - well, I guess he had not seen me packing before, and what did he think I would take to go to Thailand? Sweaters?). I know I am bringing too much stuff and Christian even had the glorious idea, to travel with an empty backback and write a book on the things I bought untill it´s filled up. Nice one. Next time. This trip I´d rather be on the save side.

So, after an indian dinner Maria brought me to the airport. So far everything went according to the plan. got my connecting flight in Dubai - unfortunatelly I did not really see a lot of the city itself - it was covered in a cloud of dust. The airport only had standard duty free shops - very disappointing. But the rolling walkways had a white stripe in the middle - at least that is very well regulated.

In HCMC I have booked a hostel room - at least for the first night. Someone is supposed to pick me up at the airport as well. Hope everything works out. Honestly, yes, I am a little anxious, but on the other hand - everyone treated us nicely in the Dominican Republic, once noticing that we were really interested in the country and culture - and despite all the warnings of the Department for Foreign Affairs. Only thing is, this time I do not know the language at all... But a ton of other people have done this before... And I wanted an adventure.. And who knows, maybe this is just a test/preparation for much larger things to come next year...

Flying Emirates does not really thrill me by the way... The stewards a dressed really nice, but food is standard and the movies are the most uninteresting choice one could find... Remarkable on the other hand is that the aircraft is almost empty... only one person per window seat. That´s it. Reminds me of my travels in March...



No comments:

Post a Comment