Saturday, September 7, 2013

On the bus up north

I was off to leave Bangkok around 10 am. The supernice cab driver took me around a mini sightseeing tour (He was soooo proud of the king and everything) and then dropped me off at Chatuchak Busterminal. WOW. There were about 100 counters to get tickets... and about 200 stops for buses... all pretty much looking the same white and blue ... but then with slight differences... and all I could read (or more precise - could not read) was Thai. Awesome. Luckily I spotted a large "i" and the lady hardly understood what I wanted, but somehow managed to send me off to the right counter to buy a ticket to Sukhothai.

It seemed to take forever until we finally left BKK behind... but then the scenery got better with every kilometer further out. And every pitch of seemingly untouched land put a smile on my face. Although I had expected BKK to be like Saigon, it was much more relaxed - probably because there were not as many motorbikes around. On the bus I could feel the sense of this being an adventure coming back - all alone again (nice!!) with only my backpack and not an idea of where I would sleep tonight. And I felt perfectly fine to travel without having an actual plan. Travelling with the bus itself btw was more like travelling by plane. The driver came around and made sure we were ok, luggage was stored away, asked whether one needed a blanket, ... So comforting.

In Sukhothai a couple got off with me and we decided to share a cap and look for accomodation. Lonely Planet had recommended At-home-Sukhothai - and it was a nice, relaxing place with a lot of plants, a little pond (frogs however all night long making noise). After refreshing we decided to head down to the night market we had seen earlier. We tried all the different food from the food stands, answered all the questions of the school kids learning english, there was even a dance program (or should I say animation)

No comments:

Post a Comment